The History of Mullaney’s Pharmacy
Opened over 80 years ago, Mullaney’s Pharmacy has an extensive family history which began with the opening of the first store in 1936.
1936On November 19th, the first Mullaney’s Pharmacy was opened by Martin Mullaney, also known as Mac, and his wife Verna on Montgomery Road in Pleasant Ridge, Ohio. The small 25×50 ft store was open from 8:00 am until 12 midnight seven days a week, 365 days per year. When Verna was not on duty as a nurse she helped run the store. A second store was opened in Hyde Park, but resold in 1939
Martin Mullaney opened a store in Golf Manor. The small 20×20 ft building was used mainly for prescriptions.
1950 Martin Mullaney sold the Golf Manor store and remodeled the original store on Montgomery Road to create more floor space for sales.
Back then Mullaney’s hired Cincinnati Police and Firemen to work as part-time delivery men for the pharmacy.Martin Mullaney purchased Glenn’s Pharmacy and Sciarrino Pharmacy but chose not to operate either store. Instead both locations housed drugs and records that would be needed at the Montgomery Road location.
Jim Mullaney married his wife Mary.
1974In July of 1974 Martin “Mac” Mullaney passed away and left behind and inspiring
Jim Mullaney purchased Mullaney’s Pharmacy from his father in January, 1974.
Jim Mullaney bought a second store located in Blue Ash at Cooper and Kenwood Rd, the store was operated by pharmacist Bill Giblin.
After Jim had taken over operations at Mullaney’s Pharmacy he ordered the first pharmacy computer in the state of Ohio for a whopping $36,000 dollars.
1978In January, Mullaney’s “went live” with the new IBM computer
Mullaney’s became the first pharmacy in Ohio to have their store’s computers connected to each other.
Mullaney’s expands the Pleasant Ridge location to 3000 square feet by expanding into the space next door.
Jim Mullaney purchased Madeira Village Pharmacy.
1988 The original Blue Ash location was closed when the landlord sold the building.
Mullaney’s purchases Feuer pharmacy at the corner of Ridge and Montgomery Roads. The pharmacy operations are consolidated into this location, while the original Mullaney’s location at Losantiville and Montgomery becomes Mullaney’s first Medical Equipment and Supply store.
1990In August, the Mullaneys opened a small 500 square foot pharmacy in Blue Ash.
Tom Mullaney graduated from University of Kentucky and passed the state boards enabling him to begin working full time.
In May the Madeira location was closed.
Mullaney’s purchased the former Fifth Third Bank Building in Pleasant Ridge and began an extensive remodeling to accommodate their growing operation.
On December 19th they moved into their current 8,000 square foot location.
Mullaney’s Blue Ash store is moved to a much larger location at 9300 Kenwood Road. This enabled Mullaney’s to greatly expand their selection of Medical Equipment and Supplies.
Tom buys Incontience business that ships products UPS all over the U.S.
In January, Mullaney’s purchases Active Mobility in West Chester and re-names it Mullaney’s Home Health Care.
During the summer, Jim Mullaney sold the family business to Tom Mullaney.
2001Mullaney’s Home Health Care in West Chester moves into a new 3500 square foot retail showroom.
Mullaney’s presents “Links to Learning Symposium Program”
In November, The Compounding Center at Mullaney’s is opened inside the Blue Ash Pharmacy.
Tom installs AutoMed robotic prescription packaging machine for long term care facilities.
Mullaney’s Pharmacy celebrated its 70th anniversary.
Mullaney’s sells the retail pharmacy business in Blue Ash to CVS.
The Compounding Center at Mullaney’s is moved to the Pleasant Ridge Location.
The Blue Ash location is remodeled to focus solely on Medical Equipment and Supplies.A new Long Term Care Pharmacy is opened inside the Pleasant Ridge location to serve Group Homes, Assisted Living, and Skilled Nursing Facilities.
Mullaney’s Pharmacy celebrated its 75th anniversary as a third generation family-run business.
Mullaney’s sells retail pharmacy business in Pleasant Ridge to Walgreens.
Mullaney’s Pharmacy and Medical Supply opens pharmacy in current West Chester location.
Mullaney’s opens new Indianapolis location.
Mullaney’s opens new White Oak location with first freestanding building and drive through pharmacy.Expert compounding expanded to include West Chester, White Oak and Pleasant Ridge.